Thursday, October 24, 2013

Intertextuality

Now that I know what the definition of intertextuality is, I realize it is something that is big in popular culture. When I think about this, the movie Thor comes to mind. I was watching the movie on Netflix not to long along ago and once it was over something else popped up called Thor and I was thinking it was the second part, was I very wrong. It looked like a "bootleg" version of the actual movie and yes I was upset. Moving on, from the movie has come several things, like comics, toys, games, and clothing / costumes.




Another intertextuality I have encountered would be all these Adidas ads that they have out there, weather its on TV, billboards or just pictures you see on the Internet. Adidas is a popular shoe that many people spend their money on. Most of the Adidas commercials now have me thinking of basketball or associating it with some type of sport. Like if people talk about they want some new running shoes or some shoes for the gym, these automatically come to mind.

2 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that you found a "knock-off" kind of version of Thor. I have also seen some bootlegs in Red Box machines that appeared to be less cinematic versions of horror movies such as "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" series. It is very disappointing, if you don't notice it at first, to waste money on a bad movie because you think it's going to be something different. It does make me wonder, though, that if someone hadn't already known about the original, big-production version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, if they would even know the movie was a copy-cat. It is sort of discrediting to the original creator of the idea of the original horror film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its crazy how many things we can come up with in relevance to the shows and movies we watch. Like toys, costumes, clothing, costumed made cups, etc. And people buy the items because of the movie and their interest. I am with you on the Adidas shoes if I see a commercial for Adidas or Nike the first thing that comes to my mind as well would be basketball.

    ReplyDelete